Monday, March 3, 2014

Wait, I thought that was GOOD for me!

Broccoli. Cauliflower. Brussel Sprouts. Garlic. These are all foods I LOVE - even though my family doesn't. Okay, my husband likes Brussel Sprouts (roasted) and Garlic. They're also foods that are supposed to be healthy.

And they are among a rather large list of foods my GI doc gave me the other day of foods that are bad for me. Okay, he didn't state it quite like that - but the list of foods are things that could potentially (and quite likely) be bad on my stomach.

Fodmaps is an acronym for Fermentable Oligosaccharides Disaccharides Monosaccharides And Polyols.  .....  The problem with fodmaps comes when foods containing them hit your intenstines - they're hard for the body to absorb.

There's a whole diet plan worked around low-fodmaps. On the advice of my doctor, I'm going to be experimenting with some fodmap elimination.

Very unsurprisingly, milk is on the list to avoid. Hmm, have we heard somewhere else that milk isn't all that good for us? I've actually wondered about milk for years and years - mainly why our culture drinks it where most of the world population doesn't.

Most of the foods on the "Don't Eat" list are healthy - well, ice cream isn't exactly healthy, but still.

So I'm back to no dairy. That's not quite true. I'm willing to have minimal butter and cheese - there are some cheeses on the "Do Eat" list that I can have! But I'm saying no to milk. And I'm also trying to focus more on the foods it says are good for me to eat. But I'm going to do this slowly, so I can keep track of which eliminated foods make a difference.

If anyone is interested in learning a bit more about which foods contain fodmaps and which don't, here's the list my doctor gave me. It obviously doesn't cover everything, but it's really sad to see some of the foods I shouldn't eat - apples, peaches, avocados, mushrooms, honey, watermelon, onions (except the green part of green onions).

Anyway, here I go on a new adventure. If it helps me feel well, it'll be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment